Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feb. 17, 2010 – Catechism 80-90

Scripture and Tradition.   One of the biggest sticking points between Catholics and other Christian denominations.  Granted I am biased, but I don’t see how they are so against tradition.  First, the Bible was not around the first 200+ years of Christianity, yet it flourished and converted most the known world.  How does that fit with the idea of Sola Scriptura.  I heard it put somewhere that “if the King James Bible was good enough for St. Paul, its good enough for me.”  St. Paul never saw a Bible, any version. 

Secondly, isn’t Sola Scriptura a tradition.  It is not itself in the Bible, it is an idea that someone came up with the people have clung to.  It is a tradition.  Sola Scriptura has always been something that has never made sense to me.  I think it is a lot more confusing to debate Sola Fide.  But save that for another time. 

This section also talks about he Magisterium of the Church.  It is pretty much the teaching guide of the Church to interpret for us what the Bible and Traditions mean and point to.  Some say that we should all be able to interpret the Bible on our own.  How arrogant is it for me to think I am smart enough to do that.  Why not stand on the shoulders of a Church that has been teaching for 2000 years.  There is only one truth that Jesus taught.  It makes no sense to have 30,000+ denominations each with their own specific teaching.  That can not be what Jesus had in mind and it does not display a God with one truth.        

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home