Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31, 2011 – Catechism 874-879

In reading through these paragraphs, the thing I didn't understand was where they used the word collegial. In looking at the definition it was used to describe something that was a group that were somewhat equal so that not one could really stand above the others. In using this to describe the hierarchy of the Church it points to the understanding that the Pope is first among equals. In other words the Pope is not or cannot do anything by himself. He does not have that type of authority. He is the bishop and must act in a way that coordinates with the other bishops. When I read the definition of collegial, I thought of the way our government is based with the three branches and how they all have checks and balances to stop one branch from becoming too powerful. I don't-know if that's a good example of what these paragraphs are talking about but that is what I thought of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home