Friday, May 09, 2014

Reflection on November 12, 1980

https://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/jp2tb47.htm

We shouldn’t be afraid of the erotic. We have seen earlier, it is a natural attraction that was there in the beginning and is a necessary part God gave us to promote procreation. If the conjugal act was not pleasurable or enjoyable, why would the two unite? There is so much importance in the unity of the two becoming one and what this points to, what it means to us, what it teaches us about being human and our relationship with God, He had to give us a reason to desire that unity. There are two extremes that I can see. You have a puritan sense; hide everything so that we cannot be tempted by our eyes and what we see today as expose everything for the false sense of freedom. As with most things, SJPII sees the answer somewhere in the middle. We need to experience this desire, but it cannot become a reductive desire or we have twisted it.

Both examples above miss the point. Someone without any control could look at a fully covered up puritan female and still desire her as an object or a holy person could see an erotic photo and see creations of God. It has to do with our heart and intention and what we do with that look. Christ seems to be calling us to work on discerning these erotic looks, the looks of desire, and sort those that are beneficial in understanding our relationship and human nature and those that are toxic, but I see it having more to do with our intention than the actual image.

You might think that the puritan would have an advantage, having never been exposed to certain images, but they have also never been given the chance to discern or learn for themselves how to discern. You wonder if they are worse off, a boy in the bubble type of sheltered life. SJPII would never condone such, I believe, because he places so much emphasis on the experiences we have and how those influence us on how we understand ourselves, our relationships with others and our relationship with God.

Not on the talk, but I was sitting and waiting for the bus the other day and saw someone with some very wild hair. My first thought was to judge them. It made me think of what Christ is teaching us here about a look and adultery in the heart. I thought the analysis might work as well with judging others, something I need to work on. Looking on others with a reducing desire is something I have gotten much better at controlling, but I caught myself judging this lady in the same way I used to look on someone with reducing desire. I did not go up to the person and be raid them, they had no idea I even looked at them, there was no outward sin that happened and they have no idea they were judged. But isn’t that exactly the leap that Christ was trying to make with the sin of adultery. The outward physical sin is one thing, but that isn’t where he wants us to start, that isn’t where we need to change, it is in the heart, in our thoughts, in our intentions. I have found myself thinking about that the last day or so and wondering how far I have come in regards to some improvements and how far I still have to go when it comes to others and how damaging our own thoughts are to ourselves, our view of the world, and those around us through the fact that it changes us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home