Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Reflection on May 23, 1984

https://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/jp2tb108.htm

I know I have given links to EWTN’s website which has the talks given by SJPII, the but book that I have been reading during my reflections is “Man and Woman, He Created Them”. Although the translations have been different, they have basically coincided up to this point. However, over the next 11 reflections, the book offers extended writings from SJPII that were not included in the talks. There are actually 11 reflections broken up that cover 5 talks given. The book does a good job of showing where in the talks the reflections extend upon, so I will still but the links to EWTN, I will just be using the same speech for more than 1 post. For example, the speech given June 6, 1984 is extended and covered in sections 111, 112, and 113 in the book. I will be doing reflections on all 3 sections of the book, so there will be 3 reflections for the June 6, 1984 speech. I haven’t found anywhere online where you can get access to the book that I am using, which is why I have been linking to EWTN’s site.

I also think that it would be a good idea to go through and read the book Song of Songs. SJPII, unlike other Scripture that he has unveiled, seems to be covering ideas in the entire book rather than a limited set of verses. http://www.usccb.org/bible/scripture.cfm?bk=Song of Songs&ch= Here is a link to USCCB’s website. There is an introduction and 8 chapters, so as we got through the next 11 reflections, I may also add reflections from my reading of the Scriptures on their own.

I think some might find the association of talking about Scripture being sexual as awkward. But SJPII points out that the balance or union of the sexual and the sacred in necessary in that most intimate relationship of marriage. I don’t know why we should find it awkward? It would be easy to point to the Puritan roots in this country, but for the most part the pendulum has swung the other way in regards to sexuality. Maybe it is because of the swing, we see sexuality as something of the world and not from God. I think it is interesting how SJPII points to Genesis 2 in its relationship to Song of Songs. That attraction to the other goes beyond reproduction. Adam sees Eve as someone like him, a helper, meant for him. That attraction brings about the unity God intended and the unity, although it has reproduction as an outcome, is a unity that goes far beyond that and changes who they are, “ the two become one flesh”. Because the unity is about more than reproduction, the attraction is more than just animalistic, and I think that points to the idea that sexual attraction is of God, not man, and should not cause us to blush, but to inspire us to take it back from the world which distorts it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home