Sunday, June 06, 2010

June 6, 2010 – Genesis 42

I received a different Bible last week as a gift (thank you David) and it is rather interesting. It is a life application study Bible. Although I was skeptical when I first received it because it is not a Catholic Bible, I used it for this reading. The footnotes, at least for this chapter, are not so much about the history of Joseph or what powers a Pharaoh had, but advise to take from the readings or motivations from the actors. For instance, Joseph did not reveal himself to his brothers even when he remembered the dream. Why? Well, the last time he saw his brothers they were selling him into slavery. How does he know if they are being honest about Ben. They treated him a certain way, he wants to know if his brother is really ok, so he test their honesty. Also, just because we get an I told you so moment does not mean we should take it. The footnotes on the website are about the lands in the midst of a famine and being militarily weak because of it and why Joseph would worry about that. Those footnotes are also helpful, these just surprised and pleased me. So, again, thank you David.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home