Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27, 2010 – Acts 23:12 - 24:9

First, we see the number 40 a lot, so I looked up its Biblical meaning. It is seen as a number that means either probation, trial, or chastisement. Here we see 40 associated with a group conspiring to kill Paul. That seems a pretty extreme chastisement. I didn’t know the meaning before, but will hopefully remember that next time 40 comes up.

As Paul’s story continues, we see that he is being shipped around in order to see who will actually deal with him. The last little piece I really got a kick out of. Being a lawyer and having to argue in front of a judge, this is a great start. Starts by praising the authority. Good step. Then accusing the person of doing something that hurts the authority. Then saying that what you are saying is the truth. It’s a slam dunk case. Obviously the only issue is that what he is saying isn’t true. I try very hard in my job to stick to the truth. I have to give it my own spin to do my job, but never try to lie. Obviously when I rely on a person telling me something, and they have lied to me, I get stuck. But know that this has never been a positive thing for my client. Lying never gets you anywhere. It appears tempting and always appears to be a great way to get a quick answer, but it isn’t. We will see how lying affects Tertullus.