Wednesday, August 01, 2012

August 1, 2012 – Catechism 1680 – 1690

This is the conclusion of the 2nd part of the Catechism “The Celebration of the Christian Mystery”.  It has taken us through the Liturgy, the Sacraments, and other liturgical areas.  It ends with funerals and how we are to say good bye to those that leave this world.  Their lives are not at an end, they are just on a different part of the journey or, in the case of those that die in a perfect state of Grace, reaching their destination.  Death is something we will all face, for ourselves and more than likely with someone that is very close to us.  I have not had to deal with death of someone I was very, very close with.  Grandparents are about the closest.  I can tell you I don’t think I did well with those.  It is hard for me to get into a state of celebrating their lives when things are that new.  I understand as I get older, this will become a circumstance that will happen many times.  Those that I am close with will get older as well and it is a matter of fact that I will have to bury people close to me.  It is not a pleasurable thing to think about, but on the other hand, not thinking about it doesn’t stop it and only leaves you unprepared.  Maybe the easiest way to approach others dying is to really dive into your own mortality and the frailty of life.  When you accept and wrap your head around your own mortality, you begin to appreciate those around you more.  Maybe the reason we have the hardest time at funerals is because of all the regrets we have for the things unsaid or undone.  Coming to grips with our own mortality allows us to say what should be said and do what should be done and when those regrets aren’t there, we can celebrate a life well lived and say good bye much easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home