Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 24, 2012 – Catechism 1667 – 1673

Sacramentals are sacred signs which bear a resemblance to the sacraments. They signify effects, particularly of a spiritual nature, which are obtained through the intercession of the Church. One of the best examples of a sacramental that I have is my wedding ring.  It bears the resemblance and reminds me of the Sacrament of matrimony (whenever I notice it, I know exactly why I have it and what it means to me).  It allows a flow of Grace that helps support me (hence, people often take off their wedding ring when they are going to cheat).  It is there as a protection against evil.  My wedding band is not a magic ring, but it is no mere ring either.  It is, as the topic is titled, a sacramental, a gift of God, a reminder and protector.  I am lucky enough to have it blessed by the Pope and it has given me strength.  It rarely comes off (only when I am bored and playing with it) and it will always be with me.  I feel for those that don’t feel this way about their wedding band.  It should not be just an accessory, it is not an object.  It, like your spouse, should become a part of you. 

On a slightly different note, in Lord of the Rings when Frodo puts on the ring, he disappears.  I wonder if there was any though in Tolkien’s mind to a wedding band and putting it on makes you invisible to the devil (maybe not invisible but harder to find at least).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home