Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February 13, 2013 – Catechism 2142 – 2149

I was trying to think if the first or second commandment is broken more often. I was first thinking that using the name of the Lord in vain has to be the most violated one. It is used all the time, it is just part of the lexicon and no one seems to care at all. But then you think of the talk of what we have turned into gods in our life and what we “worship” on a daily basis and I think that one is broken more often. Some people basically break one 24 hours a day with their lifestyle. (that made me wonder if you can sin while you sleep, question for another day)

The paragraphs make it very clear, the name of God is to be adored. I am writing this in the adoration chapel. I am trying to picture a way to help me understand that to utter the name of God is to be like adoring the True Presence in front of me right now. The respect, honor, reverence that I show this chapel and what it contains is the same I should have every time I utter the name of God. And that can only be done if you are using it while in prayer, praise, or a holy act.

However, it is just thrown around like any other word. Why is that and when did that start to happen. And if it started to happen when less and less people began to actually believe in God, why is it such an important part of their vocabulary. If it doesn’t mean anything to them, why does it seem to be such a prominent word for them to use. I think that this use and lack of respect for the word itself helps lead to the disbelief. Just as respect for the word and saving it only for times of prayer and great blessing will increase your faith, using it all the time and inappropriately will weaken your faith and make God into something less than He is, even to a believer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home