Saturday, July 06, 2013

July 6, 2013 – 1 Maccabees 7 – 7:25

This isn’t about the reading but just something I wanted to mention.  I recently heard a song that disturbed me.  The song is called “Live while we’re young”.  Basically the song is about meeting a girl and then having sex.  “I know we only met but let's pretend it's … Tonight let's get some”.  Also “Hey girl it's now or never… Don't overthink, just let it go…And if we get together, yeah get together don't let the pictures leave your phone”.  So, this is obviously not a song about true love nor is that something the singer really aspires to.  This song is probably very popular because this is the way the world wants to see relationships. http://youtu.be/AbPED9bisSc  Perhaps more disturbing is that fact that the singers look to be in high school at the oldest.  The song really makes my stomach crawl.

BUT this is not the most disturbing part.  I got their CD from the library.  One of their other songs on the CD is titled “Last First Kiss”.  “Let me be your last first kiss, …Wanna be the first to take it all the …let me be your last, Your last first kiss.”  It is just shocking to me that a band can sing two songs that just make no sense together and these are supposed to be what kids listen to and shape their thoughts.  The guy wants to meet someone and hook up that night, but also wants a commitment for life from a girl.  Either females should see these young men as completely sexist and only using women in whatever way they want or complete liars.  The two songs cannot exist in the same universe.  But I don’t know if anyone will look at that.  People will dance to the one and oh and ah during the romantic one.  This may be the way music has always been, but I don’t know if I have ever seen an example of such bi polar ideas in two songs by the same group, same album, only 2 songs apart.

while we're young was #3 at its peak according to billboard.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home