Monday, September 06, 2010

September 6, 2010 – Exodus 17 - 18:12

So, it doesn’t really describe it here very well, but is this the place where Moses struck the rock twice and was the reason he was not able to enter the promise land.  I think that is the reason, but it doesn’t mention anything here about striking it twice.  While I was reading it, I was interested that of food and water, the Israelites complained about food first over water, even though they would have died from thirst first.  I may be reading more into it than is there, but what it makes me think is that they were not that bad off when they actually complained.  They had packed provisions to last a while, they were just tired of them and wanted something different.  Water is water, can’t do much with that, but food has variety.  I think they were not on the verge of starving, but only tired of what they brought and sought to test the Lord.  Then seeing that the Lord would provide food, they sought to test Him again.  Not out of a dying thirst, but out of (I don’t know the best word for it but pride may be close to what I am thinking).  From reading it, you may picture that there is this huge group that are in dyer straits.  With further reflection, I just don’t see that.  I really see them testing God out of pride or selfishness, not need. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home