Sunday, December 12, 2010

December 12, 2010 – Sirach 18

This chapter got me thinking about God being eternal and what that means.  v 8 talks about the Lord being patient with us because even 100 years is like a spec of sand on the beach to eternity.  I don’t know why, but it go me thinking about Hitler and the knowledge that the Catholic Church has never said there is a specific person in Hell.  I find it easiest when thinking about this theology to go to the most extreme example of someone we would jump to the conclusion or say it is obvious that they are in Hell.  If we can somehow see reasons why that person might not be there, we can see why the Church has this theology.  This chapter talks about how time on earth is fleeting to God.  So, first of all, Hitler was really just a blip on God’s radar, an small flicker in the span of all eternity.  We see it as something huge and overwhelming, and in human terms I would agree, but in eternal terms, we have to think about it as God does. 

Second, we never can know someone’s mental capacity.  If Hitler was completely crazy and had no real mental control of what he was doing, if the Church’s eye, in God’s eye, his responsibility is not as great.  In human terms, even if he was crazy, what was done under his command could not be dismissed by some defense of mental illness, but in the eyes of God, our chooses to do evil must be with full consent and understanding to have all the ramifications of mortal sin. 

Thirdly, we see the power of God and His using terrible things for good.  How many martyrs came out of Hitler’s evil.  How many conversions.  How many prayers to God came from the camps.  Sure, there were probably those that turned to God in anger in their last moments, but I am sure there were also those that turned to God as there last hope, their last chance.  And those that suffered before death, that suffering aided them towards Heaven. 

I am not saying Hitler is in Heaven, but I can’t say he is in Hell, and neither does the Church, say that about anyone.  The Catholic Church is often seen as intolerant because it has the fullness of truth and people take offense when you tell them they are wrong about something.  But I see a lot more intolerance when I hear some Christians say that Catholics are all going to Hell.  I believe there is a Hell, I believe there are people or souls there.  But I can never judge that someone, let alone some group, is for sure going there.  I can and should tell people that what they are doing is wrong or they are heading in the wrong direction, but if I ever find myself judging them or convincing myself that they are going to Hell, I have put myself in the place of God, the only one that will ever truly be able to judge us.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home