Friday, January 14, 2011

January 14, 2011 – Mark 14:10 - 14:42

A question was raised when I was discussing infant baptism.  Why did the Jews have to be Baptized if they were already circumcised, if Baptism is the new circumcision.  I think the answer appears pretty clearly in Christ speaking about the Eucharist.  “He said to them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many”  14:24.  Christ begins a new and eternal covenant that must be entered into.  Much like being circumcised entered the Jewish people into a covenant with God, being Baptized enters us into a covenant with God, but through Christ death and resurrection.  So, it becomes an eternal one.  The Jews, even though they were in covenant with God through their circumcision, would need to be Baptized to enter into the New Covenant brought about by Christ. 

I think the more interesting question is what was the meaning of John the Baptist baptism, since it took place before Christ death and resurrection.  What effect did it have.  I think that is explained by John himself when he says “I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the holy Spirit." Mark 1:8.  His baptism is a preparation for the Baptism Christ will bring about, a full and complete Baptism, that brings us into an eternal covenant with God through Christ. 

The hour of prayer and fighting sleep and Christ disappointment is something that I think about quite a bit during my adoration hour from 1-2 AM Thursday mornings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home