Sunday, January 09, 2011

January 9, 2011 – Sirach 23

Some of you may not read the actual Bible chapters, so I wanted to put this in because I think this is a great prayer that we can all benefit from saying.

LORD, Father and Master of my life, permit me not to fall by them! Who will apply the lash to my thoughts, to my mind the rod of discipline, That my failings may not be spared, nor the sins of my heart overlooked; Lest my failings increase, and my sins be multiplied; Lest I succumb to my foes, and my enemy rejoice over me? LORD, Father and God of my life, abandon me not into their control! A brazen look allow me not; ward off passion from my heart, Let not the lustful cravings of the flesh master me, surrender me not to shameless desires.” Sirach 23:1-6

v. 15 – This I find most evident in construction workers and in the crude comedies that pass for entertainment these days.

v. 18-19 – How often do people only care about what the world thinks of them and do everything do hide their discretions. I have never liked Tiger Woods because I am a Phil Mickelson fan, but even I have to admit that he is an incredible golfer. But what was he thinking. Trying to hide all of his mistresses from not only his wife but from the world. Not only did he try to hide them, but tried to put up the façade of a family man and a role model. “Such a man will be punished in the streets of the city; when he least expects it, he will be apprehended.” 23:21 I wonder if Tiger would agree with that verse after what he was doing became clear. And yet, even his escapades are yesterdays news. He is back at golf and making his millions basically because, like many banks that the government bailed out, he is too big to fail for the PGA. I don’t know whether he has changed, whether he is going to go back to that life or not. But there are no secrets from God and his actions were known to God well before we all found out after Tiger hit a tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home