Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29, 2011 – Daniel 13:34 - 13:64

I like how they make it a point that the people believed them because they were judges and elders. How often do we see that people in position of power feel they can get away with it because of the position they hold or who they are. The politician who had an affair, the police officer who stalked women, the pro golfer who had a dozen mistresses, most recently the football program that covered up a sex abuse scandal. This goes without saying that the Catholic Church had its own scandal, and is still trying to deal with the aftermath, because people in power feel they are above judgment. And for the most part it is correct because like the people here, we believe them because they are in authority. Because they have this authority, they have more responsibility to not act in such a way, the paradox is they have the ability to get away with it easier.

Catching someone in a lie is exhilarating. Getting someone that is innocent free because you catch someone in a lie is on a whole other level. I played the role of Daniel once in a jury trial when I caught a police officer in a lie. I don’t remember the name of the officer or the client, but I don’t think I will ever forget the case. It was a resisting a police officer case. The officers said that my client would not obey the officers commands as they were yelling at them while they were in their car. The officers said the windows were down and they could clearly be heard. My client said the windows were broke and could not go down. Usually when our clients say an officer is lying, they are lying or we have no way of showing that the officer lied. This time I was able to have my Perry Mason moment. There was a police video of the stop and when the door opens, there was a reflection on the window of the door that was suppose to not be there. I played it for the jury three times and won the case. People with authority really believe they are bulletproof. It is sad to think how many times they actually are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home