Wednesday, November 23, 2011

November 23, 2011 - Catechism 1153-1158

It says that the sacramental celebration is a meeting of God’s children with their father. I understand that this, in our sense, should be an informal thing. When I see my dad after time apart it is with a warm greeting or a hug. There is no bowing or formality to it. That may be why we have taken the formality out of the Mass. We see this as time with our Father and there should be nothing formal about it. But is that really correct. Just because that is the way we relate to our father’s, is that the way it should be with our Father. I think we have lost a sense of formality that may have existed earlier in Church history. When your father was the King, you did not greet them informally. You would reverent to them, bowing, speaking when spoken to, strictly obeying. Anything less was inappropriate, even with your own father. Even lower levels of civilization the fathers of the home were respected. Yes sirs and no sirs and strict obedience was called for. I think we have lost some of that. We have lost some of the hierarchy in an attempt to make everyone equal. I don’t want to be the parent as much as a friend to my children mentality. But that isn’t what you are suppose to be. Your role is parent, period. If you are their friend first, you are doing them a disservice. And God is God. We are called to show Him that respect, especially at the Mass. It is a meeting with our Father, but in the sense of meeting our Father the King. Bows, obedience, subservience is required.

I love to sing. I am not the best, not the worst, but I do love to sing. And I have always found it important to sing at Mass. I don’t understand those that do not sing at Mass. Some of the songs may not be absolutely necessary to sing, but some (like the Amen or responses) are. They are our part to play. If they are spoke, we speak them, if they are sang, we need to sing them. I have been told that singing is praying twice. I don’t think I really believe that. I don’t think it boost your prayer, but I do find it enjoyable and it does help me in praying sometimes. One pet peeve that has happened recently at our Masses is the choir is singing songs that are not in the books. I really don’t like this. The Mass is a participation of all and not just time for the choir to put on a show. I really feel that there is time for this before Mass if they want to sing to give people an atmosphere to reflect in before Mass, but during Mass songs that everyone can join in should be used. It is a participation of the entire Church and to exclude us from praying these songs, I think, is wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home