Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20, 2012 – Proverbs 30

Verse 8-9 talk about having an abundance of wealth or goods and not relying on the Lord. It recommends asking just for the bare necessities so that you do trust in the Lord. If we have too much we will say “Who is the Lord”, thinking that we have received all of these things through our own actions. Everything is a gift from God and as I talked about in a previous post, we are stewards of it, not owners.

There is also an interesting take on those that want more and keep seeking more and more. Eventually, maybe not at the beginning or even on purpose, but eventually you will go about getting it in evil ways or it will lead you down evil paths. Ask for only what you need, “or being in want, I steal and profane the name of my God” v.9. As I said this is not out of malice or intended; it is just the natural progression because we will never be satisfied with material things. We will only grow more and more in lust over them and when our means will not obtain them for us, we will seek them out my other means.

Being in the midst of a political season, you wonder how many politicians have traveled this road. They might have started with the best of intentions, but power and authority can begin to control you and little by little you start going into the gray to get what you want. Eventually, you do not see the right from the wrong anymore, only the want and desire, the power and control. I have always thought about jumping into those waters, but I am always leery about whether I am strong enough to resist going down that path and having it devour me, change me, in the end destroy me. You balance staying in your quite home, living your quite life verses risking it all to try to help the world that is struggling. However, Christ did not call us to sit on the sidelines. Ah, the thoughts that run through a mind when you ponder the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home