Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 29, 2012 – Sirach 25 - 26

I am at a loss on what to write about. There is a lot in here that I think most women would find very offensive. If you are one of them, I would love to tell you that this is the Old Testament, written 1000’s of years ago and the lessons do not really apply. If I did, I would be lying. If I told you I completely understand the teachings in this text about women and their roles or purpose, I would be lying as well. Reading through this, you get a sense of women being made insignificant and second class. I going though these readings and learning about Catholic teaching, I can tell you that is not what the Church teaches. I read this as to men about women, maybe because I am a man or maybe that is the way it was written. What if you read it as a guide for women. Does it read differently to you. I tried it after I thought that and I am not sure I thought any differently. But, reading through it again, it doesn’t sound all that terrible. Make your husband happy, be loyal, be good, don’t be jealous or wicked. Seems reasonable to me.

I also was reflecting on the idea that wickedness can come through physically or that a beautiful woman can look less beautiful because of her heart. I agree with that, I think. I was trying to think back on women I have known and had relationships with. Some were not top models, but attractive because of who they were. Then there were some would call very attractive, but I just never saw it because I knew that they were not the kindest person. Granted, I have been blind to flaws because of beauty, I am not 100% at seeing this, but I do believe it is true. I don’t know if it works as well on men. That would be a question for the ladies to answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home