Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, 2012 – Catechism 1655 – 1658

Trying to encourage you children to pray is on one hand something very simple and on another hand, very difficult.  It is simple in the fact that they seem to naturally want to pray.  No, they don’t start chanting or quoting bible verses at 2 years old, but they seem to understand speaking out loud to God.  They may not pray in a way that we understand, but God understands them, and they seem to be completely accepting that He understood them.  Sometimes all it takes is a little guidance and focus and they can really surprise you. 

The hardest part is on the parents being consistent about it.  They fully emulate their parents and if you are not praying, they will not pray.  It is always very humbling when they remind you to pray. 

Last night I was praying with Paul and we were going through all the things we did this weekend that we were thankful for.  We had just gotten back into town from a weekend with Grandma and Grandpa.  Paul didn’t want to pray out loud, so I thank Jesus for … and went through the whole weekends set of activities.  I really didn’t think he was paying any attention.  When I was finished I asked if I had covered it all, and he said yes, so we moved on.  Just when we were about to finish he stopped me and said I hadn’t said everything.  I had forgotten him being able to ride on Grandpa’s tractor.  So we thanked God for that as well, then went to bed.  It was just a very nice moment and really encourages me to be more vigilant about my prayer life because he is paying attention, probably mostly when I don’t think he is. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home