Saturday, March 02, 2013

March 2, 2013 – 1 Kings 20

We see that the king of Israel didn’t learn anything from the stories he must have heard about Saul. He follows the Lord and achieves victory and then, when it comes to showing mercy on something God wanted destroyed, the king balks and it is because of this he will be punished. All that happened and all that God set in front of him led to the capturing of someone that should never have been captured, someone that was bringing destruction and wanted to destroy. God puts them into the kings hands for punishment, and the king lets him go.

This makes me think of capital punishment and showing mercy. There is a time for mercy and a time to punish someone for an awful crime that they did. For a very long time I have been against capital punishment. It is not because I don’t think some crimes deserve death, I think there are. It is more because even though we have a great legal system relative to others, it is not a perfect legal system. I have seen cases slip through the cracks, I have seen innocent people punished and guilty people walk free. I have never dealt with a case involving the seriousness of the death penalty, but I have dealt with cases in the legal system and know that mistakes are made, people are human, and that aspect doesn’t change just because death is a possible punishment.

Death is a permanent punishment, it cannot be taken back once it is accomplished. Because we are human and can always make mistakes, I think having the power to end someone’s life is something that we shouldn’t have. I understand the Catholics are allowed to support capital punishment. I understand that the Bible allows it as well. I don’t think I am obligated to support it and as long as mistakes are possible and humans run our justice system, I am not comfortable taking the life of a person based on a guilty in the courtroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home