Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 19, 2013 – Jeremiah 13

What an odd thing to use to make an example, a loincloth.  God says because it is close to the privates, a very important part, so God had brought Israel close to Him.  But what I thought more about is that it represented Israel’s pride.  When I think of a loincloth, I think in terms of something like a Speedo.  It takes a lot of pride to wear a Speedo, and that is what Israel walked around like before the exile.  But, will a person without pride wear one, likely not.  It is almost an arrogant thing to wear.  Or will a person wear a Speedo that is has holes or is dirty, no.  The person that wears the Speedo needs it to be perfect to keep up with the image they believe they portray.  The old and decayed loincloth, after the exile, Israel must wear, to bring about their humility.  I was thinking what pride the Speedo wearer would have if you made them go without the Speedo, but there are probably some that wouldn’t bat an eye and have enough pride to step out in that fashion.  That makes me think I may not be understanding the symbolism at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home