Monday, June 28, 2004

Saturday, June 28
I feel like being back in bed. Last night was fun. Did some dancing, did some drinking, a lot of drinking. It was great fun. Heading up to Belfast. In class, it sounds like this is the most controversial time.
Abbey form Eastern is on the bus. How weird is that. She says to tell Michelle and M & M hi. Jenn said it is a small world, I said it is a small island. She is here helping with the Special Olympics.
We just found out there is an Orange Man march in Belfast today. From what we learned in class, it may get interesting. I figure they would not be giving a tour if it was dangerous, but the real bad things happen when you are not expecting them. So we will see.
This driver has been telling us about the "Troubles" and it just sounds horrible. He let us hold a "rubber bullet" which is not what you might think. They are about four or five inches long and one to two inches round and a very hard rubber. The driver said the point is to break a lag but it has killed a number of people and children. We also road through a British barracks and there was this boy, could not have been more than ten, in fatigues and with an automatic weapon. It almost looked like "bring your son to work" day, but the driver said it was normal to have kids that young in the army. It just shows what two different civilized people find acceptable.
Words cannot really describe what I am feeling right now. Disturbed, sick, in an almost pain. I always just thought it was a political nonsense thing as most wars are., but the driver told us it organized over the Catholics wanting a fair vote. The right to be a part of government. Not unlike the Civil Rights movement in the states. It has turned into something else, but that is where this particular conflict started.
Being Catholic definitely gives me a different feeling then others may have large parade. It went by in maybe three minutes, but it was loud, and intense. It did not feel like a parade as we know it, but a protest as we know it. I did not think they were celebrating as much as trying to say something.
The feeling I had watching the parade was very similar to the feeling I have when I am in high places. Just an uncomfortable feeling that I do not want to be here. I have never had such a fear for just being somewhere. It was the intensity of the Washington march, but a different feel and I placed myself in the Washington position. Here, I was just standing there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home