Friday, December 17, 2010

December 17, 2010 – Mark 9 - 9:32

'If you can!’ First we have the questioning of God’s power.  You can almost feel Christ frustration.  "I do believe, help my unbelief!"  Then you have the humility prayer.  I don’t know if any of you have private prayers that you say at certain times, but I have one.  During Mass, right after the prayer of consecration, when the priest lifts the host or chalice, I pray this prayer.  “Lord I believe this is your body/blood, given up for me, give me grace, increase my faith, help my unbelief.”  It really helps me focus on not only what has just happen, but begins to prepare me for what I am about to receive.  “Help my unbelief”.  I believe all the Catholic Church teaches me, whether I understand it or even know it yet.  But that is an ideal that I am striving for, not a reality as of yet.  Wherever it comes from, doubt is able to creep into the very corners of our mind and heart.  “Help my unbelief” is such a great and humbling prayer for me.  It helps keep me in a good perspective.  I do not know everything and never will, but sometimes I do get a little arrogant and proud of how much I do know.  Although we do need to thank God for our faith and our beliefs, we need to reach out to Him to heal and strengthen those places where are beliefs are not as strong.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home