Monday, April 04, 2011

April 4, 2011 – 2 Corinthians 6-7

“And if good could be bought, you would spare no money; but if mercy is freely at your feet, you despise it for its cheapness. Every time is suitable for your ablution, since any time may be your death.” Oration 40 of St. Gregory Nazianzen [325-389 AD].  This was his reflection on “now is the acceptable time” 6:2.  I spent many years thinking that I would really dig into my religion and develop a good strong faith when I was older and had children and settled down.  How many years I wasted thinking that religion was such a burden for me and the lifestyle I wanted to live.  How “cheap” did I think mercy was because it was freely given and how much I sought those things the “could be bought” because I thought that was what life was all about.  But our time can come at anytime.  I thank God that I have changed and even though it did happen when I settled down and had a kid I doesn’t change the fact that it should have happened a long time ago.  It scares me to think about how I lived back then and what may have happened if it all ended in one of those moments that was a “close call” to almost ending everything.  Only God knows why I came out of those situations mostly unscathed, but God only knows who may have been hurt by me or my actions that I won’t fully realize until it is fully revealed.  “Every time is suitable for ablution (A washing or cleansing of the body, especially as part of a religious rite), since any time may be your death.”

7:16 is one of my favorite verses.  I like to reflect on it when I am feeling hard on myself or struggling.  Some of the commentary I read about this verse talked about how St. Paul wrote this to smooth over some of the feelings that might have been hurt by the criticisms written earlier or further on.  Not that he cares what they think of him personally, but he wants to change their hearts and minds to follow Christ, and the old adage applies that you get more flies with honey than vinegar.  It is not unworthy praise, as Paul has talked about things they have corrected when he has told them too in the past and how he is proud of them, but I know how much better I take criticism from someone who I feel is genuinely interested in me getting better. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home