Friday, June 08, 2012

June 8, 2012 – Psalms 35 – 36

Psalm 35 seems appropriate for what we are dealing with in the nation right now.  Attacks on Religion, the Marriage, Life, we call out to God to help against our enemies.  When you read “They repay me evil for good…when I stumbled they gathered with glee,…they slandered me without ceasing; without respect they mocked me” 35:12-16 doesn’t that paint a pretty good picture of how you see the Church in the news.  Whenever we see a call for Catholics to stand up and support this or that, I think it would be a good Scripture to throw in there. 

36:5 “they do not reject evil”.  This one caught my eye.  I was thinking about when we make excuses for small sins.  I was thinking about how I used to make excuses for a lot more than I do now, but always thought of myself (and was told that I was) a good guy.  Being good is not being wishy washy on evil, it is to reject it.  When you think of basketball and someone takes a shot, what goes through your mind if I say it was blocked or tipped.  Now, what goes through your mind when I say it was rejected.  I get a very different sense of what happened to the shot.  Maybe that is a good way to envision how we treat sin.  Are we deflecting it or are we rejecting it.  That is was we are called to do, that is what the Psalm says the evil ones do not do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home