Monday, July 09, 2012

July 9, 2012 – 1 Samuel 10

Saul is made king, and he appears kingly.  He is taller and stronger than any other Israelite.  Keep that in mind when we get to Goliath and how cowardly Saul is by that point.  Yet, even though he appears kingly and Israel ask for a king, there are still those who right away are against him.  People are never satisfied.  That makes me wonder why I am diving into politics.  I am used to most people liking me.  I don’t really remember an occasion where someone really didn’t like me or where I had enemies (unless old girlfriends that I broke up with, but I got dumped more than dumped).  I think I have much thicker skin than I probably used to, but I think that is because what I believe and what I stand for is more firm a foundation.  “You’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything”, as the old country song goes.  I believe I do stand for something, which will make it easier to stand up for it and to accept that people are not going to agree with me and that it ok. 

Thinking about that, is that why we spend so much money as a government, because we are trying to please all the people all the time.  I guess that makes sense.  If you don’t want to upset people, give them the money they ask for.  This mentality appears to be a popular one.  So the inverse, the politician that says “no, we are not going to spend money on your project” is going to be a less popular person.  But isn’t that what we need.  Someone willing to say no if no is what needs to be said.  If I win and get neck deep in all this mess, I may be much more sympathetic to the Biblical figure of Saul and where he ends up from where he started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home