Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Monday, June 30
Well that just beats all. Jenn tells me today that she wants to go to Spain and watch the running of the bulls. I am all for spontaneous changes of heart, but give me a break. I did not come here to spend a week in Spain watching bulls run over people, no matter how exciting that may sound. She also said that she has no interest in going to Italy. Which means that she will want to do northern mainland when we leave Prague? I am just assuming that. She may want to go to Russia for all I know. So, not only did she already get tickets to Brussels, but also if I want to see Italy, which I must, I have to do it alone and waste a day on the train going south. It would have been so easy to just do north and not spend so much time on the train, but no. And the only benefit of being with Jenn is the fact that se has been around most of the mainland before and not to be alone, but now those reasons are shot. I cannot believe she would do this. And some of the other law kids are going, so she will not be alone. I cannot think of one time on this trip where she has done anything to try to aid me in anyway. The bike thing, maybe, but she let me know how much I ruined her day. But, I guess I will not have to put up with her anymore. Hope she has fun.
Wednesday, July 2
Well it has been 4 months with Michelle. I am going to give her a call later. Whether she has gotten the postcard will decide how it goes. More relevant will be how she took it. Got a cheap headset so I can listen to music, which is nice. The week between is starting to form itself up. Sunday, to Brussels, head to Rome, stay there two nights, head to Nepalese and Assisi, then up to Venice, Vienna and Munich. Think we might head to Poland one of the weekends in Prague.
Fourth of July is going to be crazy. We are done with everything by 5:00, so nobody has anything to do on Saturday. It is going to be a long, long, night. I cannot imagine some people not getting in trouble. People have been talking about burning a British flag and starting a riot. I cannot see that happening, but it would be and will be wild, whatever happens.
I cannot decide if I will spend more or less without Jenn around that week between. I imagine more since I will not be finishing some of her meal, but oh well. One of our tests is a take home and the other is an eight question true/false test, so I really do not know what to think. I really cannot imagine they can grade them too hard, but the true/false is just a right or wrong deal.
Well Michelle did not get the postcard, and I am not sure if she suspects anything. I guess we will just have to wait a little while longer. Did not tell her, thought about it, but did not. Did not tell dad that Jenn and I are separated. I am getting a cough. I figured I had to get sick at least once in the trip. I just hope it does not last. Going to get some sleep tonight so that should help.
Thursday, July 3
Well Michelle did have the postcard, but her mother had not given it to her. Her e-mail replied in like terms and she stated she felt the same and probable has for a while. I think the test should be ok tomorrow. I probable will not have a chance to write till the 5th, but trust me, well I hope, it will be a great 4th, although there will not be any skinny dipping as that date usually entails.
Friday, July 4Happy Independence Day. First test did not go too bad. Off to take the second of the day. Wish me luck. Eight true/false questions.
Saturday, July 5
This has been a long day considering I did not get out o bed until 12:30, half twelve. Bought new socks today. My feet have never felt better. Last day in Dublin. I am about ready to leave. It is a neat city, but enough is enough. I am ready to go exploring again. Went and seen the Book of Kells. It was not anything spectacular, but interesting just to think how long it took to make those books. Off to have my last Guinness of Ireland. Last night we drank Coors Light and Budweiser in honor of the fourth and a girl from LSU went out in the middle of a cricket game wearing the stars and stripes. I thought it was funny, but most people just thought it was stupid. Some blamed me for provoking her, but that does not sound like something I would do, wink. The Intellectual Property test was around 50 true/false instead of eight, so it is anyone's guess how I did.
Sunday, July 6
Here we are at the airport. I am not going to miss Jenn's bitching. "I need sleep; kids are loud, blah, blah blah." Get some sleep then. Oh well. There is also more ass crack showing in Dublin than I ever saw before. Guys and girls. I am ready to get out of Dublin but not sure, if I am ready to leave the English language behind.
We figured out why the flights are so cheap. They charge you out the ass for your bags. if it is over 15 kg. it is extra. Unbelievable. And Jenn still has my camera case. Hers broke when we first got here. Wonder if I will ever get a thank you for that. And guess who the last person up this morning was.
It is still hard to imagine that the gibberish that I hear around me is understood. Even harder to imagine is that to some English sound like gibberish. Well I am off on my own. Really, do not know what the hell I am doing. Evidentially these trains, seats matter, so I was standing because I did not have a ticket with a seat. But the train cleared a little so I am sitting now. I guess there is a gay parade in Cologne today so the train is packed more than usual. It seems that we always hit the bad times. Oh well. I am on my way to Frankfurt, where I hope to catch a train to Rome. That is the plan. When they do the train messages, they do English last so I am at a disadvantage tine wise. These next few days are definitely going to be a challenge. Here is hoping I am up to it.
Another train adventure by myself. This is not going to be 24 hours, but it will be around 22 1/2. I think. But we got on the plane at 7:30, so it will be 27-1/2 hours of traveling. I have a cough that will not go away. I think it will if I get good nights sleep, which is not going to happen tonight. The views have been gorgeous. I am afraid we are going through the Alps at night, but I should see them on the way back up. The cough reminds me of the one I had at Southern Indiana Camp. If I breathe in through my nose, I can contain it, but if I breathe in through my mouth, I cough.
Told mom and dad today that I am alone. They took it better than expected. It is going to be another summer of "Matt died pictures."
Monday, July 7
I have just assumed that Micelle will read this someday, but I think I should write everything that happens, not that anything inappropriate has happened yet. I just bring it up because I have had a whole bottle of wine; it is like 2 in the morning, and I am stuck in a train compartment that is 6 feet by 6 feet with four Italian females. Three are quite old, but one is quite attractive and it is like 130 degrees in the compartment. The cute and young one is the only one that speaks English so she was trying to translate the conversation for a little while. Then she left and took her contacts out and put coca-cola battles on that would rival what the Fosters used to wear. I may be strange, but I think glasses are sexy. Anyway, sill no sleep and cannot imagine any coming soon. I think they were shopping in London and are heading home. And the cute one's mom is lying next to me asleep. It is just an odd place to be. Not so much odd, but unexpected. Oh, and I do not know if I wrote it, but getting the reservation, although did not pan out on the first train cause there were gobs of seats, was definitely needed for this one or I would be sitting on the floor. The Italian ladies just closed the shades and started putting money in my pants so I got to go.
A 30-hour trek, but I am here. And I am eating at a real Italian restaurant. I am actually the only person in here. Do not understand what I just ordered, but oh well. It is a nice little place. Looks like it was a house they turned into a restaurant. I am ready for some real food. I am surviving on lonely soda and snacks for the last two days.
Well, I am definitely coming back to this place when they actually serve pasta. I guess they do not start that till two. This must be breakfast. 1/2 a chicken, salad, bread, and wine. It was excellent though. Going to head back to the hostel, read my book till one, then change into shorts, and head out. Probable make it an early night.
The view coming in was amazing. they all have been. I do not think I have seen one ugly place outside city. You could probable say the same for the U.S. and this trip really makes me realize how much of my own country I have yet to see.
The cook/waiter/receptionist also lets out a tune every now and then. When you think about a traditional Italian place, this is what pops into your head. Not really sure what the charge is going to be. If it is under ten Euros, I will be surprised. Nine Euros.
Just had the greatest lasagna and the best wine I have ever had. Ate on a sidewalk café kinda thing. The Coliseum was huge. It really makes you wonder what it all looked like way back when. Going to see the Vatican tomorrow. I think I got a little burnt today. First day of intense sun since we have got here. Probable have to use sunscreen tomorrow.
Talked to Michelle. She said it was storming and she had to drive so she was nervous. Told her I loved her, but I think it came off goofy. Hope she did not take it that way. Have not figured out what I am doing Wednesday. Have to be in Vienna by Friday, which is all I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home