Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Some people. Michelle wrote an aritcle about a chain of people buying starbucks coffee for each other and all the comments talk about is whether the X in X-mas is a bad thing or not.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/12/13/news/doc457f321ddf68f848510458.txt

It was a really nice story, in a world full off not nice stories, and some comment on that fact, but for the most part it is an arguement about the meaning of X. I don't know where it came from and I really didn't know it was bad until this Christmas. I wished somebody at church a Merry X-Mas, and they told me that was wrong.

Whether it was invented by someone who can't stand Christ being apart of Christmas is beyond me. I never used it to insult anyone and I don't think I ever used it to get away from the meaning a Christmas. It is shorter, and I always thought, kinda neat sounding. I had never thought of X as replacing Christ.

But some do, and to each his own. I don't know where the arguments come in that in ancient times X meant Christ and so it isn't bad. And I don't know who invented X-Mas. But didn't we just have this whole arguement in the media a year ago with Happy Holidays. It boggles my mind the reasons we find to bicker about things. No one can be happy unless they are finding fault in what someone else is doing. I didn't understand the Holidays thing anyway. I say all three not only because I like variety, and as stated earlier I thought X-mas was cool, but also becasuse there are other holidays around Christmas. It is the Holiday season. No other time of year has so many holidays bunched together. If Easter was around the same time as fourth of July and Father's Day, maybe we would say Happy Holidays then too, but they aren't.

I have never said Happy Holidays with the intent of hiding that I am Christian. And I know some do, and that may be wrong, but the reason they do it is so that they don't offend someone. Maybe that is just everyone being to politically correct, but that is the world we live in. They aren't doing it to hurt anyone, it is to stop from hurting someone. So I say all three, and I don't feel bad about saying any of them. If you refuse to say Merry Christmas, even on Dec. 23, 24, or 25th, well then, as one e-mail I read puts it, you should go into work on Christmas.

If you miss me a Happy Holidays, I will be most appreciative and respond with Thank You, Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, depending on my mood at that particular moment in time. None are meant to make a point, teach you a lesson, or hurt you in anyway. I just really hate how we choose to, better yet, need to find things to bicker about. I think the story at Starbucks was a bright spot in an often dark world and I wish more would see it as just that, and not a chance to complain about all the things they think are wrong in the world. Til Next Time.

MILK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home