Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17, 2010 – Genesis 37:12-37:36

So, Rueben seems to be the least guilty brother.  He stops them from killing Joseph, plans on saving him, and seems the most grieved by Joseph being taken.  Why not tell Jacob what happened then.  Although he didn’t guilt, was he none the less pleased with the result.  Maybe it is similar to the feeling you get when someone’s misfortune benefits you.  Even those times when you may hope that someone fails or doesn’t get something so that you can succeed or get it.  I know sometimes that thought will pop into my head and I try to quickly get rid of it.  But then it turns out bad for someone else and good for me.  Even if I may feel a little guilty for wishing ill for someone, I don’t not take the good.  Rueben seems to be making the best decision he can, I would imagine if he sides against his brothers he will end up in the cistern as well. 

Now, picture Jacob’s goodbye to Joseph.  There is nothing special about it, yet that is the last time Jacob will see him.  (I know that isn’t true, but at this point in the story Jacob thinks so.)  It makes me think of all those nonchalant goodbyes we give our loved ones everyday, when it could be our last.  How did all those spouses say goodbye the morning of 9/11 to have that be their last.  How many left that morning without saying I love you, without saying goodbye, or worse yet left in an argument.  It makes me think about how life can be taken, anytime.  Remember Jacob and what he was thinking when he saw that tunic.  What he would do over again.  What he would say if he could say goodbye again. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home