Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 26, 2012 – Catechism 1285-1292

I don’t remember much about my Confirmation. I don’t think I was very well prepared for it. That doesn’t take away from its effect, just a fact. In helping get teens ready for Confirmation, I have tried to help them realize what is happening. One of the things I think makes the moment “bigger” for them is the story of Pentecost. That same Holy Spirit that descended on the Apostles is the Holy Spirit that will descend on them at that moment. It doesn’t mean that the Holy Spirit was not there before (the Apostles received it from Christ on Easter Sunday) but it does come to them in a very special way. It may not be visible as in tongues of fire, but it will descend upon them in a unique way and build them up for going out and showing the world Christ in more substantial way. I think it is important for them to read the Pentecost story and reflect on it. What the attitude of the Apostles were before and after. What the Apostles did after. They should receive strength, hope and courage from this and be able to experience their confirmation in a more fulfilling way and be ready for what is expected of them after. I don’t know if I would have cherished mine anymore if someone had explained it to me in that way or not, but I do think it helps to look at it in the light of the Apostles Pentecost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home