Wednesday, July 04, 2012

July 4, 2012 – Catechism 1633 – 1637

I was lucky enough to marry a Catholic.  Although we were both still not well educated in our faith, we were both Catholic.  I cannot begin to understand the difficulties that would arise in a home of a Catholic and non-Catholic.  When I was younger or even in college, I don’t know if it would have made a difference to me.  Now, I don’t think I could have done it without pushing for conversion in my spouse.  That pushing, I think, would lead to tension and a separation, not unity.  I can see why the Church is hesitant about these relationships and that they may lead to religious indifference.  How easy is it to give in to another so that you do not have tension.  How hard is it to have a dispassionate debate about religion and if you have a passionate debate with a spouse, how hard is it not to cause a split.  Yet those spouses that are Catholic and in that situation are in a very special spot and have a responsibility to pray for the conversion of their spouse.  It is not for us to say who makes it to Heaven or Hell, but it is hard for someone who lives with  a strong practicing Catholic to say they are ignorant of its teachings or never had the choice to follow Christ Church.  We have an obligation to help our spouses get to Heaven, whether they are Catholic, non-Catholic, or don’t believe in Heaven at all. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home