Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15, 2013 – 2 Kings 9

I was trying to think if I remember a more brutal chapter.  There have been many, but I can’t think of one that is so personally brutal.  This is not a chapter of mass brutality where an entire city is laid waste, this is a very personal one.  First we have the anointing, turning into basically a contract to take out the king.  Then, when he kills the king, it is by shooting him in the back as he rides away, knowing what is about to happen.  Then they chase down the other king and kill him.  Then they order the mother to be thrown out a window to be eaten by dogs.  For the TV episode you would need the parental guidance warning.

One thing I found interesting was when Jehu said he remembers what Ahab said (verse 25-26).  I was thinking Ahab had been a long time ago, but then when you look at the timeline I linked to earlier, Ahab had been king only 14 years before this, so it isn’t so hard to believe that Jehu was in the military following Ahab, but that he remembers the oracle and fulfills it was something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home