Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27, 2013 – 2 Kings 13

Here we see the fulfillment of what Elisha told Hazeal about what he would do to Israel.  When he first told him, it wasn’t clear and looked like a situation where Elisha putting the thought in his head that he would be king actually pushed him to killing the king and taking over.  I don’t think that you could say Elisha telling him you are going to do awful things to Israel pushed him to do awful things.  I think that is all on him.

We see here that Elisha does die.  I wondered, when they started talking about different prophets and advisors what had happened to him.  Obviously, he was just getting old and not being used as much, making way for the new generation.  I thought his burial scene was neat.

These last several chapters remind me of the chapters in Judges.  Israel has an issue or is under someone’s control, someone steps up and brings about their defeat, everything is good until they fall again.  I understand that Israel’s entire history has that feel, but these very quick up and down stories have that “Judges” feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home